The ACE Certificate in Language Teaching and Technology is a three-part certificate course designed for language teachers who are interested in becoming more knowledgeable, skilled and confident in the use of technologies for language teaching purposes. The course provides an overview of the theory and research on the use of technology for pedagogical purposes and then gives teachers the opportunity to work with current technologies that can be used in the language classroom.
All three parts of this course are recognized by TESL Ontario as Post TESL Certificate Training (PTCT) courses. PTCT is specialized training that enables instructors to further their knowledge and skills in high priority content areas such as materials development, technology in the classroom, language for the workplace, and higher level language training. PTCT is for all instructors who teach English as a second language to adults. You are eligible for training fee reimbursement if you are currently teaching full time or part time in a CIC-funded program (LINC, ELT, or OSLT) in Ontario. Also, if you are currently on maternity leave but will be returning to your teaching position in a CIC-funded program in Ontario, you are eligible for reimbursement. Before signing up for a PTCT course, eligible applicants should go to http://ptct.teslontario.org/ to create an account and book a reimbursable seat in the PTCT course they would like to take. For more information, please visit http://www.teslontario.net/PTCT-courses.
Why Choose the ACE Certificate in Language Teaching and Technology?
- A three-part course that allows you to progressively build your skill level and confidence with a wide variety of technologies.
- Cover three main topic areas during the three parts of the course--language education and technology theory, how to use different technology tools and how to teach language with the technology tools.
- Learn many of the technologies under discussion.
- Discover how the language skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) and language systems (grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and discourse) can be taught using various technological tools.
The prerequisite for the ACE Certificate in Language Teaching and Technology is a strong interest in the use of technology for language teaching purposes. Access to a computer with a reliable internet connection is essential. The following are also beneficial but not required:
- Current employment as a language teacher to either adults or children.
- A recognized qualification for language teaching to either adults or children (English, French, Spanish, other languages).
- Access to the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- For Part Three of the ACE Certificate in Language Teaching and Technology, successful completion of an online course in any subject is required in order to have experience as an online student.
The course is divided into three parts:
- Part One (a minimum of 35 hours of coursework): Participants evaluate the impact of technology on language teachers and language students. Participants complete extensive work with a wide variety of technology tools including document tools, communication tools, presentation tools, instructional tools, blogs and wiki's, audio and imaging tools and publisher-produced tools. Part One is recognized by TESL Ontario as a PTCT accredited course.
- Part Two (a minimum of 35 hours of coursework): Participants evaluate research on the effectiveness of educational technology. Participants complete tasks with additional technology tools including live presentation tools, collaboration tools, quiz and game tools and mobile tools. Participants apply their understanding of the technology tools presented in the course to their teaching of the four language skills and the four language systems. Participants must successfully complete Part One of the course before enrolling in Part Two. Part Two is recognized by TESL Ontario as a PTCT accredited course.
- Part Three (a minimum of 30 hours of coursework): Participants analyze different online teaching environments and the advantages and disadvantages of each. Participants debate key issues of online teaching including student motivation, student retention, online assessment, delivering feedback and academic honesty. Participants complete eight online teaching practice sessions and complete reflective tasks on their experiences. Participants must successfully complete Parts One and Two of the course before enrolling in Part Three. Part Three is recognized by TESL Ontario as a PTCT accredited course.
In Parts One and Two of the ACE Certificate in Language Teaching and Technology, participants complete Task Journals based upon assigned readings and practical tasks that use the different technologies. Participants submit Task Journals to their instructor on an ongoing basis throughout the course for feedback and assessment. For Parts One and Two, the final grade is derived solely from the Task Journal marks. For Part Three of the course, participants complete practice teaching assignments in addition to Task Journals.
Courses are offered three times per year:
September 15 to December 15
January 15 to April 15
May 15 to August 15
Price: $540.00 (Part 1) | $540.00 (Part 2) | $475.00 (Part 3)Click Here to Register
Note: A non-refundable $100.00 deposit is required to complete the registration process and the remainder of the fee must be paid before starting the course.